Top 10 Home Energy Efficiency Tips
Posted October 31, 2016
From the Alliance to Save Energy, here are the Top 10 Ways to Save Money on Energy:
1. Wash clothes in cold water to save $63 a year.
2. Install a programmable thermostat to save up to 10% on cooling and heating costs.
3. Use your window shades. Close blinds on the sunny side in the summer to keep out the hot sun, and open them in the winter to bring in warm rays.
4. Turn off all lights, appliances, and electronics not in use. A power strip can help turn off multiple items at once. (Sometimes the simplest things are really effective!)
5. Change to new and improved light bulbs. Reduce energy use from about a third to as much as 80% with today’s increasing number of energy-efficient halogens, CFLs, and LEDs.
6. Look for the Energy Star Label, the government’s symbol of energy efficiency, on a wide range of consumer products to save up to 30% on related electricity bills.
7. Use low-flow faucets and shower heads to save on water bills.
8. Clean or change filters regularly. A dirty furnace or A/C filter will slow down air flow and make the system work harder to keep you warm or cool.
9. Reduce water heater temperature to 130F to save energy and money on heating water; and wrap the water storage tank in a specially-designed ‘blanket’ to retain heat.
10. Seal air leaks and properly insulate to save up to 20% on heating and cooling bills, while also increasing home comfort.